The second part of the season for our Men’s Premier side commences with our entry into the 2019 Southern Football League.
Having come from the lower reaches of the 2018 Football South Premier League to second this year is a testament to hard work that has gone in over a number of years to future proof the club and the quality of this playing group.
Men’s Head Coach Darren Hart has established a talented group of players who cherish the ball, happy to spend long periods of time in possession wearing down opponents and then showing a cutting edge when required. It’s not perfect and still a work in progress but when you consider that every single member of the playing group will return in 2020 there’s every reason to expect that the promise of 2019 is just the beginning.
The 2019 Southern Football League will be a huge step in class for all the Dunedin sides with a need to hit the ground running important in a short seven-week league. For our boys it is a case of showing they have both the capability and commitment to compete at a higher level; if they can do that then competing at this level is not beyond them.
The wider Southern Football League squad is:
- Goalkeepers: Stewart Catto and Tom Fitall
- Defenders: Arnon Tapp, Jack Rathbone, Tom Sule, Tim O’Farrell, Albie Murray and Connor Speer.
- Midfielders: Ben O’Farrell, Oban Hawkins, Greg Nimmo, Ben Stanley and Hugo Kidd
- Attackers: Allan McBride, Eddie Wilkinson, Dom Scahill, Harry Gaskin, Tom Durkin and Santeri Kuivalainen
For the club itself, we head in to a bit of an unknown with costs difficult to confirm and hosting requirements largely to be determined by what clubs are capable of providing. We’ve made a decision that despite the Logan Park Artificial Turfs opening that our traditional home ground the Caledonian still provides the best atmosphere and overall package for marquee matches.
The facilities available at the Caledonian to enable the entire football experience to be first class; from the player and officials facilities, to the ability to live stream matches and then to host after match functions are all possible at the northern end of Logan Park.
As a club we hope that qualification to the Southern Football League drives us towards further success over the next few years, with first class facilities available to our club members for both training and matches we are positioning ourselves as an attractive option to enhance players football journey’s.
The season commences with a clash against Mainland Premier League Champions Cashmere Technical at home on Sunday 30 June at 12:30pm, there is then a week off before we host Mosgiel AFC on Sunday 14 July again at 12:30pm. Our full fixture list is (12:30pm kick offs):
- Round One, 30 June; Cashmere Technical AFC: Caledonian, Dunedin
- Round Two: 14 July, Mosgiel AFC: Caledonian, Dunedin
- Round There: 21 July, Nomads United AFC: Tullet Park, Christchurch
- Round Four: 28 July, Caversham AFC: Hancock Park, Dunedin
- Round Five: 11 August, Coastal Spirit: Caledonian, Dunedin
- Round Six: 18 August, Nelson Suburbs FC: Saxton Field, Nelson
- Round Seven: 1 September, Western AFC: Walter Park, Christchurch