Rampant second half highlights round four

A rampant second half display by our Men’s Premier League side against new comers Wanaka FC was the highlight of an up and down day of football for the University club.

With precious little information about the style of play of our visitors Wanaka, our boys huffed and puffed for the first stanza as our adaption to their counter attacking football took some time to bed in. At times the half time break can be a bit of curse which stalls momentum entirely but on this occasion it was just the tonic we needed.

Coming out in to the second half with much more purpose our boys kept to task and committed to holding the ball and moving the tiring Wanaka side around, it didn’t take long for cracks to appear and these were ruthless exploited as both Ben Stanley and Dom Scahill scored after well worked passing moves; a third followed quickly afterwards as Tom Durkin launched a long ranch strike which creapt in the left hand post. A bit more stability from our visitors saw our momentum slowed but captain Dom scored again to notch his fifth goal of the season.

Credit Wanaka who came with a plan and know what they are about, they stuck to the task set by coach Ian Bell and when things weren’t going their way tried to work out solutions. The game was by far the cleanest we have played this year, it was pleasing to see that they didn’t resort to the default of trying to kick our boys off the park.

For Stu and the Men’s Seconds they left our adopted home pitch of Bayfield trying to figure out exactly how they didn’t come away with all three points after having all the ball and creating countless chances. Mosgiel were ruthless when they got the chance and with our boys not adapting to the pace up front allowed two early goals. The boys managed to get one back through YoungJae just before the break but really should have scored 3-4 by then.

Half time brought some renewed focus and an early goal to Jack Mawdesley should have seen us on our way but a soft set piece goal saw us down again which we quickly responded to with an unusual bounced finish from Captain Nich Kelly. A contentious hand ball call on Luke in goals saw Mosgiel take the lead again as they blasted home the free kick.

The game descended in to a bit of farce after this as two Mosgiel players were shown red cards in quick succession, the first for violent conduct after a player reacted to a collision in the box. The second to their midfield general who had walked a tightrope all game with a series of late challenges. Against 9 men our boys really deserved the win they had a late challenge in the box waved away and then a legitimate goal disallowed after confusion about the offside rule. In the end it was a bitter pill to swallow for the boys who worked tirelessly to get the result.

The Thirds boys were rejigged this weekend as a succession of defections to the annual Hyde Street event meant our depth was tested. For the first half it looked like those players who were missing would hurt the the chances of us winning as Mosgiel took the lead and generally controlled the game.

The second half was however one way traffic as the boys steamrolled past the Mosgiel side who couldn’t handle the ball speed and direct running from our front men. Ale helped himself to a hattrick in the end and was named Man of the Match by Captain Angus Pauley.

Fraser and the Fifths had the grudge match against Roslyn Wakari 1888 and sticking to the theme over a number of years the game was well contested by both sides and a bit of controversy. Roslyn scored first after a contentious penalty that seemed to split opinions across the Roslyn side about the legitimacy of the call. Our boys worked their way back in to the game with Albert scoring twice to see us in the lead and looking likely to take the points.

Somewhere along the way Captain Fraser earned himself ten minutes in the bin (which doesn’t apply to Division Three) which created a good amount of confusion. We held out to near the very end until a late late header from Roslyn crept in a the far post and the points were shared.

The sixths were at home to Green Island and in a well contested match went down 4-2 after conceding a couple of late goals.

For the first time out we live streamed one of our games. This is part of a bigger project to create more exposure around our Football and is a work in progress as we look at different solutions. There were teething issues with getting the stream started and the quality of the images were not as good as we had hoped. The Caledonian is a challenging venue to steam from in winter due to the location of the sun behind the pitch. Our next home game against Northern we will again be running a stream and will test out some different angles.