The depth of our high flying men’s premier side will be tested this weekend with enforced changes bringing new faces in to the side.
With regular goalkeeper Stewart Catto suspended after his red card last weekend against Green Island, the gloves will be taken this weekend by Goal Keeper coach and former Dunedin Technical custodian Tom Fitall. Being able to call on an experienced replacement is a massive positive to come from the changes that have happened this year for our side.
Also missing is young midfielder Oban Hawkins who was hospitalised after a few brutal challenges last weekend and is expected to be out for up to a month. His replacement in the side is the versatile Tom Durkin who opened the scoring for us last time out.
Our opponents this weekend Roslyn Wakari have gone through a summer of change and will bring a fully committed side to the match, albeit one shorn of much of the quality they had last season. Based on their first two weeks they don’t appear to be far off the pace of the top sides so another quality performance is needed from our lads.
The rest of the club finally gets a chance to play some league football with all our other sides in action with the exception of our Women’s Premier side who have the bye.
Our Women’s seconds travel out to Sunnyvale looking to start their season in good form against the Green Island premier side. With a handful of changes from last year and a good quality pre season this could be a tricky game for the home side to handle.
Other games to watch out for are the two men’s fixtures with Caversham AFC, with Stu Moffat’s quality looking seconds outfit and the Jack Campfens led thirds both heading out to early games in South Dunedin at Tonga Park. Both of these sides have strengthened well over the off season and are looking to challenge of league honours.
The full fixture list is:
- Men’s Premier versus Roslyn Wakari, 2:45 at Forrester Park
- Men’s Seconds versus Caversham, 12:45 at Tonga Park
- Men’s Thirds versus Caversham, 12:45 at Tonga Park
- Men’s Fourths versus Dunedin Tech, 2:45 at Bayfield
- Men’s Fifths versus Green Island, 2:45 at Sunnyvale
- Men’s Sixth versus Balclutha, 12:45 at the Oval
- Men’s Sevenths versus Grants Braes, 2:45 at Ocean Grove
- Women’s Seconds versus Green Island, 12:45 at Sunnyvale
- Women’s Div One Yellow versus Balclutha, 12:45 at Balclutha
- Women’s Div One Blue versus Dunedin Tech, 12:45 at Bayfield